Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Scouting the Territory


After a short brainstorming session, I have decided to continue with my original topic idea.  Professor Goeller was kind enough to recommend a few useful resources that I have briefly looked into.  In that same respect, I like his idea of looking more closely on post-graduation success.  I vaguely remember Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, one of my favorite books,  briefly touching on that subject as well as the suggested The Chosen by Jerome Karabell.

After combing Google for potential resources, I think there is ample amount of research being done on the topic to support a well put together essay.  Although not directly relating to my topic I think Nate Silver's blog with the New York Times could provide statistical research that would be of interest.  In addition, the American Psychological Society has published a few facts that could be interesting as well.

There is a plethora of scholarly articles being published on the effects of socioeconomic status on education, intelligence, and success.  These are easily accessible via Google Scholar.  The first article I skimmed through was an article published in "Sociology of Education" entitled Socioeconomic Status, Intelligence and the Attainment of Higher Education. This is just the tip of the iceberg of the studies that are being published on the subject.

I feel confident with my ability to pursue research in this topic and continue to develop ideas around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment